Small Elephant Remembers…Rebekah (2)

Continued from Small Elephant Remembers Rebekah…

May 14, 2009

Just over two weeks until Baby R’s due date and I think in possibly one week I will have tied up all those loose ends ~ putting together the bassinet, cleaning out all the cars and closets ~ new mothers just instinctively want the nest to be clean! She has been poking my right side with a foot for about two weeks now, reminding me that she is there and healthy and strong.

May 14, 2009

On Sunday we celebrated Mother’s Day and I was shocked to see Abigail come walking in with a gift that I didn’t see coming ~ my very own American Girl Samantha doll, who was retired by the company in December (something that still irks me…don’t even get me started!). I always wanted a Samantha doll as a little girl, but we didn’t even discuss the possibility ~ they were obviously too expensive ~ and back in December when she was being retired, I wasn’t yet aware that I was having a baby girl so I didn’t end up purchasing one…but apparently, my Mom did. So there was much to this gift, but I was still mortified by my reaction, an awkward dance between laughing and crying with my face buried in my cotton napkin. Over a doll?! And the entire family just happened to be there to witness it. I’ve never lost control like that in front of the whole lot of them, but they all seemed to enjoy my discomfort so fully, I cannot quite bring myself to regret it.

May 27, 2009

We found out at our appointment today that Doctor Tramonte will be out of town until Tuesday, so we have all decided on unofficial bedrest, hoping to put off delivery until then. I know it sounds stupid, but I also don’t want to miss Abigail’s birthday tea party.

May 30, 2009

Today was my due date, but thank God I was able to celebrate Abigail’s 5th year without interruption. I even made cookies (while sitting in a chair)!

May 31, 2009

I am not going to church today. Not moving at all, actually. I was a little disappointed to go past my due date until Amy reminded me that now my baby girl might have a pearl for her birthstone. Good thinking, Amy!

June 1, 2009

One more day until Doctor Tramonte comes home and then I am getting UP! It’s a shame we like our doctor so much.

June 2, 2009

We made it! No more bedrest. And now I am feeling so large, so tired of it all, so…dejected, deflated (and inflated!), etc. etc. etc. Mom had breakfast in the oven when I woke up, starving as usual, so I grabbed a baggie with leftover donut holes from Abigail’s birthday party just to tide me over. I took them outside to the rocking chair so I could watch Gideon and Abigail, who had stayed the night with us, play. Now I won’t say Abigail woke up bossy, just…assertive. She was setting up a grand show on the corner of the porch and had rehearsed her lines and had Gideon in his place…everything was just so. I had just popped the last donut hole into my mouth when Abigail looked at me, hand on her hip, and said “Lesley, do you want to do something’?…instead of just sittin’ around, lickin’ your fingers?” My mouth was too full to answer her so I just shrunk in my chair.

June 5, 2009

I am in mental and physical agony!!! Surely she will come today.

June 6, 2009

Here it is, exactly one week after my due date and I have not gone stark raving mad! But tomorrow we are scheduled for an induction, and Lord willing, I will be bringing home my second baby. My first daughter. Today was dubbed “Happy Gideon Day” as it was his last to be an only child. Children are such a blessing ~ I am glad to fill the house up with them! Pregnancy, however, stinks like a gut-wagon.

June 7, 2009

I woke up to shower and fix my hair at 6:00 a.m. (I’m always terrified of having to go to the hospital dirty, or with prickly legs, or without a touch of make-up on…) and Chris called the hospital at 7:00. I have been told to eat a light breakfast and wait for them to call me back. The good news is we’ll be in the hospital on Monday, Kenneth Peterson’s volunteer day! (He is one of my best senior adult friends, married for 60 years!).

11:00 a.m.

Apparently the hospital is short-staffed today and there have been a surprising number of emergency C-sections. We’re still waiting for them to tell us to come.

4:30 p.m.

This has been the longest, worst day of my life. I haven’t been able to sleep, I have a headache, I’m starving, and we haven’t even started for the hospital yet! Chris just called them again and the sweet lady who has been dealing with us all day said “God bless her, let her eat!” So I am going to have a sandwich.


Seriously, ten minutes after I finished my sandwich, they finally called and told us to come…which means I will probably be throwing up this sandwich before the day is up. But who cares?? We’re on our way!

6:00 p.m.

H0w different this experience is than our last. We calmly checked in at the hospital, were taken to our room, and I am just sitting in bed waiting for them to shoot me up with some Pitocin. Chris’s Dad and Stepmother are on their way and Momma and Daddy will come after church.

7:00 p.m.

Chris and I are watching Titanic on the television. I wish the nurses would wait until commercial breaks to check my vitals.

10:30 p.m.

Everyone has left the room for the night and so I am trying desperately to get some good sleep before active labor begins. However, my back is killing me and the most obnoxious song from one of Gideon’s movies is blaring through my head. I am getting so frustrated and I’ve pictured myself ripping all of these tubes off of me and just running through the hallway screaming. If I just had two more inches of crazy in me, I probably would do just that. I think it’s time to ask a nurse for some help.

4:00 a.m.

I am just coming to after receiving my favorite drug, Stadol. The nurse injected it into my IV, and two seconds later, I was floating, back pain gone, Casey Jones song out of my head. I do remember Chris being gone when I looked over and so I just started yelling for him. “Chris!!” No answer. “Chris Goooooore?…where arrrrrre you??…” I knew somewhere in the back of my mind that I should stop yelling and that I probably sounded like a lunatic, but the drugs made me careless. I yelled for him for what seemed like 20 minutes and when he finally came into the room, I said in a drunken-s0unding drawl “Well there you are! There’s the man that I’ve been lookin’ fer!” He said I sounded like a liquored-up lady who might work on a streetcorner. I slept for about four hours and now it’s epidural time! I’ve got this labor thing so figured out.

5:30 a.m.

Doctor Tramonte is here, God bless him! It’s almost time…

10:14 a.m.

Three pushes and reluctant Rebekah Sunday is here! When I heard her sweet cry, the tears just popped out of my eyes. And when I held her in my arms, I fell in love. She weighs 7 pounds and 14 ounces of sweet baby goodness, is 21 pretty inches long…and the best part about it? We get to keep her forever. Day 1 has already been heavenly…

10:30 a.m.

I just threw up my sandwich.

June 9, 2009

Rebekah is a doll of a baby. She has the tiniest little high-pitched damsel-in-distress cry and she sucks on her two middle fingers. I want to eat her for breakfast. We’ll be taking her home where she belongs as soon as the doctor gives us the okay. I can’t wait to get to know her better.

June 2009, at home, via facebook

I think the hospital made a mistake and sent us home with an angel instead of a baby…

One thought on “Small Elephant Remembers…Rebekah (2)

  1. Oh, Lesley, how I enjoy your stories! You make me laugh out loud at my desk while my kids are taking their naps. One day, I’m going to wake them up with my laughing. You make delivery sound so much better than all those books I’ve been reading! 🙂 I can’t wait to read the stories of your next little one’s arrival!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s